Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Second Plenary

We have another trivia question to test our voting machines again: What animal kills more humans annually than any other?
a. Sharks
b. Snakes
c. Mosquitoes
d. Humans

Those of us mindful of the upcoming business concerning the Malaria initiative knew the correct answer was Mosquitoes (though Bishop Hanson surprised us all by saying that #2 was Snakes).

We've at this point seen a few entries from various churches in a video contest around the theme of "Living Lutheran". The strongest so far, in my opinion, is from Shekinah Chapel.

The videos produced by the ELCA to accompany presentations are very strong. It seems odd, but the one accompanying presentation of the budget was my favorite. I hope those are available on the ELCA site somewhere (I will post a link if I find them).

We then get a non-flashy but very strong and informative introduction to the LIFT recommendations, and an even stronger one for the Genetics statement. There is a rallying speech in favor of the Malaria project (along with a very affecting video), along with someone in a mosquito costume roaming the floor and someone mentioning her church's clothes hanger mosquito video on YouTube (which I can't find at the moment). Someone makes a valid point about why the much cheaper and much more effective solution of pesticide spraying isn't being considered, and someone else raises the concern that separating out missional projects like this might detract from a sense of our total mission as a church, pitting charitable initiatives against each other in marketing wars. One misguided soul decided to make a backhanded swipe at the Genetics statement by asking if we were being consistent in fighting malaria and considering all of creation in "Do Unto Others..." as part of the Genetics statement ("I'm not saying we should vote against it...", he said, standing behind a microphone with a red sign saying "Oppose"). He may have inoculated the Assembly against what might have been a clever debating point in the context of discussion on the Genetics Social Statement. I see my bishop slowly inching up the comment line, and wonder what he has to say as time gets later (Bishop Hanson has already extended the time for ending the plenary session, and not for the last time). When he's finally recognized at the mic, he calls the question, and a chorus of "second!" erupts in the hall. My hero!

The approval of the malaria campaign sets the new benchmark for lopsided votes at 968-19.

That's it for the first night of posts, and on seeing how late it is, I'm not sure how much I'll do tomorrow night. I'll do my best to stay on top of it!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for staying up late for us, Mike! I watched what I could yesterday, but it's hard to follow CWA and follow our two-year-old at the same time. My attempt to get her to watch with me because "we might see Daddy on TV" was unsuccessful . . .

    ReplyDelete